A Healthy Heart is a Happy Heart
Hi Fusers! Hope your 2014 is getting off to a great start! Can you believe we're already into February?! Crazy....
February is Heart Health Awareness month and we're on board to help! At The Fuse, we're challenging everyone to increase their cardiovascular health. We've created an intense interval training set and are testing throughout the month. The goal is to improve your score! Simple yet effective. A healthy heart is a happy heart!
The heart is a muscle and just like our butt muscles, it can get flabby if not given a good workout. Take this quick quiz to test your heart health. If you score 4 or less, maybe you should pay The Fuse Fitness a visit or take classes with us more often!
1. What are the American Heart Association recommendations for physical activity in adults? a. At least one hour a day of walking or other like activity. b. At least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise. c. At least 30 minutes a day four days a week within your target heart rate.
The full answer is here, but all the answers above are correct. The key is to exercise at least 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise. That could mean walking briskly for an hour a day or exercising vigorously 30 minutes a day four days a week.
2. What are the risk factors for heart disease that we are born with and cannot change? a. Increasing age b. Gender c. Heredity d. Socio-economic status e. Food preferences
We cannot fight biology so the first three answers are correct. Read more for the full answer.
3. What are the major risk factors we can modify to reduce our risk of heart disease? a. Smoking tobacco b. High blood cholesterol c. High blood pressure d. Physical inactivity e. Weight f. Family history
We have some control over our heart health. All of the answers above are true, except family history. We can modify these risk factors through diet, exercise and smoking cessation. Click here for the full article.
4. What are the symptoms of heart disease that may lead to a heart attack? a. Difficulty breathing b. Chest pain c. Palpitations d. Undue fatigue e. Increased appetite f. Nausea/vomiting g. Back or jaw pain
All the above are true except increased appetite, click here for more information.
The answer is slightly different for women, so read this article for more information.
5. According to the American Heart Association today, about one in ten American kids and teens is overweight or obese. True or False?
Sadly this is false, the answer is about one in three American kids and teens is overweight or obese, nearly triple the rate in 1963. Is your child at risk of obesity? Read here for more information about childhood obesity.
Yours in health,